Never underestimate the power of sleep! A good night’s sleep will do wonders – trust us. The following are some helpful hints so that you can make the most of your sleepy time…
1. Maintain a regular sleep schedule so you get enough sleep. Your body likes routines so work toward obtaining the right amount of sleep each night.
2. Exercise regularly. When you exercise your body feels relaxed and sleep will come more easily.
3. Eat a well-balanced diet. Studies have shown that diets deficient in certain nutrients, partially copper, iron and aluminum can cause disruptions in sleep patterns.
4. Keep your sleep area comfortable. Keep your room neat and remove clutter from your space. Make sure that you are not too hot or too cold.
5. Relax. Try relaxation techniques such as breathing deeply or listening to soft music to help you calm down.
6. Avoid the following:
- Napping during the day or evening
- Exercising vigorously before going to bed
- Drinking caffeinated beverages late in the evening
- Eating heavy or spicy food in the evening
- Late-night meals or drinking large quantities of liquids
- Watching TV, eating, reading or working in bed
If you can’t fall asleep within 30 minutes, get out of bed and do something relaxing until you feel tired.