There is no wrong way to have a body. At Owls Care Health Promotion, we support students by helping you to care for yourself and encouraging you to love your body! We want you to reach your personal best. That will look differently for every individual because, in fact, everyone IS different. Owls Care is celebrating #everyBODY by promoting body positivity this month with the Love Your Curves Fashion Show. The event is Thursday, February 26, 2015 in FAU’s Live Oak Pavillion at 7pm.
The Love Your Curves Fashion Show is important in a world where there is so much body diversity and yet also so much discrimination. We often talk about weight in terms that are binary: skinny or fat. Skinny is idealized as beautiful and healthy. Fat, in opposition, is stigmatized as unattractive and unhealthy. In truth, most people are on a spectrum of body weights that fluctuates throughout our lives. Further, neither ‘skinny’ nor ‘fat’ are comprehensive indicators of health!
For Body Image Awareness month, try practicing these methods of body positivity. Can you think of more ideas? Let us know!
- When you look in the mirror, try complimenting yourself about something other than your weight or what you look like.
- Treat your body with stress relieving activities like stretches, a walk, or a warm bath.
- Wear comfortable clothes that make you feel confident.
- Remember—you are a whole person, not just body parts or appearances!
- Check out fau.edu/owlscare for our Wellness Consultation services
- Come to the Love Your Curves Fashion Show! See you there!
Written By Britni Hiatt
If you are interested in writing a guest blog, please contact us.